On this page
Below is information and resources to assist university supervisor in supporting QUT pre-service teachers on Professional Experience.
Roles and responsibilities
The role of university supervisor in relation to Professional Experience is to:
- Liaise with the PEO on all administrative issues.
- Liaise with the unit coordinator and/or the university curriculum coordinators (secondary) on areas of concern throughout the Professional Experience. This includes informing the unit coordinator of absences longer than 3 days.
- Make at least three contacts with the site and your allocated pre-service teachers – beginning, middle and end of the Professional Experience period.
- Visit sites within the Brisbane metropolitan area or maintain close telephone/email contact if concerns are raised regarding the pre-service teacher's progress in the Professional Experience.
- Where visits are required establish a suitable day/time for the visit.
- When visiting sites, always wear your QUT ID badge and follow the correct sign-in procedures at the site's Administration block. Usually, site protocol dictates that you speak to the site coordinator, then the supervising teacher, and then the pre-service teacher.
The role of the university supervisor is informed by the following key policy documents and associated guidelines:
- MOPP C/4.4 Work integrated learning
- Higher Education Support Act 2003
- Queensland College of Teachers Guidelines for Standards and Conduct
Beginning of the Professional Experience
- Contact the site and provide your contact number/s and/or email address to the site coordinators and supervising teachers. Check that all allocated pre-service teachers are present and that the placements have started.
- Contact by telephone or email the pre-service teachers in your allocated schools/centres to establish communication as it is important that the pre-service teachers know who you are and the role that you will play throughout the Professional Experience.
- Read specific PE handbooks and unit outlines. These will give you information relevant to each Field Studies and Internship unit.
- If any concerns or issues are raised with pre-service teachers, it is recommended that a Student Action Plan be instigated by the school. The supervising teacher and site coordinator should be encouraged to do this as an important formative process to address issues with teaching practice or professional conduct. You, as University Supervisor, can be as actively involved in this process as the school/situation requires and will be a signatory to the Action Plan.
Midpoint of the Professional Experience
- Send a reminder to pre-service teachers and site coordinators that interim reports will be due and check on progress.
- Contact the site coordinator or supervising teacher by email or phone to discuss the mid-point feedback and interim reports.
- Ask pre-service teachers to send a copy or an overview of their interim report and discuss this with them in terms of their plans for development over the final weeks of placement.
- Notify and consult with the unit coordinator and the PEO regarding any pre-service teachers with outstanding Student Action Plans and follow up as required. Provide support for the supervising teacher and the pre-service teacher as required.
Final week of the Professional Experience
- Remind the site coordinator that the final evaluation should be completed for the final day of Professional Experience. One copy of the report is kept at the site, another provided to the pre-service teacher, and a third forwarded to the PEO.
- Make note of any pre-service teacher who has not completed the required number of days and arrangements that have been put in place to ensure completion of the Professional Experience. Forward details to PEO.
- Thank the school and the site coordinator for their support.
Blue cards/exemption cards
University lecturers who are registered teachers do not require an exemption card when visiting schools/sites.
University lecturers who are not registered teachers may not require an exemption card when visiting schools/sites as it is unlikely that you will be alone with a child without another adult present.
- Managing pre-service teacher issues on Professional Experience
- PE Toolbox
- Library Resources and Support
- Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- Queensland Professional Standards for Teachers
- Student undertaking placement: Managing your rights, responsibilities and safety on placement
- Prompt Sheet: Contacting Schools & Contact with Preservice Teachers (PDF, 68KB)
- Record of Contact with Schools (Word Doc, 43KB)
- Record of Contact with Preservice Teachers (Word Doc, 37KB)
Guidance is available for pre-service teachers through:
- QUT Equity: discrimination, harassment and bullying
- Grievance resolution (MOPP A/6.1)
- QUT Student Code of Conduct (MOPP E/2.1)
- Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland: For Students and Teachers
- QUT Counselling Services
- Student Guild
- QUT Careers and Employment
Other important information
Professional Experience Office
Telephone: +61 7 3138 3467
Fax: +61 7 3138 3049
Level 3, Room 343A, B Block
Faculty of Education
Queensland University of Technology
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove, 4059